Albert Einstein:

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
Knowledge is limited.
Imagination encircles the world
Albert Einstein

Friday 6 July 2012

Re-evaluation


Swift Current, Saskatchewan

We are currently sitting in a B&B in Swift Current, Saskatchewan.   I have had to re-evaluate my whole idea of this ride across Canada.   I am going to have to ride parts of Canada.  It has taken me a while to get here.   I rationalized having to drive through BC to Calgary by saying that I had already ridden that bit.  From Calgary on, though, I would have to ride EFC.   For those of you who are not familiar with the term EFC is mean Every F Centimeter.  You can supply your own word for the F part. 

My ride down the Crowchild trail at 80 kph being chased by rabid Albertans did give me pause at riding in cities that are not bicycle-friendly.   Calgary is more bicycle-hostile.  So I will probably not ride through any cities of any size.  I did ride to Drumheller and I also rode to Brooks Alberta.   Both of which were very pleasant rides in spite of the winds but I found that my sojourn from riding did a number on my fitness.   I could do the distance but it cost.

Change of plan!   Time to think with my head not my pride.   My pride is currently huddling broken and weeping under a stone somewhere.  My disappointment is sitting in my heart and systematically leaching poison into my system.  My brain is going to have to take up the slack.   That is a lot to expect for an under-performing lump of fat.

Time to enjoy myself with my lovely and patient wife seeing the sights that Canada has to offer.   Ride when I can for a distance that I can manage without bonking (for those of you who do not know bicycle jargon- bonking does not mean trying to have sex while riding the bicycle).  Enjoy seeing the country from a bicycle and a car.  Share my joys at seeing the country with Telen and not be so selfish and miserable because I could not ride.  

I think I am there.   Seeing other cyclists on the road still stirs a little evil feeling of jealousy and inadequacy but I am getting over it.  Tomorrow we drive to Moose Jaw and I will ride to Regina.  

I can handle that. 

  lunch break on the prairies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pageviews last month

Translate

Followers

Contributors